Bleu Adams – Manda/Hidatsa/Dine
THUR, APRIL 7, 2022 | 7:30-9:00 pm MST
Explore a Case Study on Food Colonialism and Environmental Justice and How We Can Better Care For the Earth, First Nations, and Each Other.
GATHERING VIA ZOOM:
Thanks to Jana Spangler for continuing to host us via Zoom. Below is some helpful info for being part of a Zoom convo. Also below is the Zoom link. This is an open group. You are welcome to invite and share with others. If you are not on my email list then either join at the bottom of this site’s home page or text or call me at 801-695-5036.
The Navajo Nation and the making of a food desert. We will discuss the events leading up to the Nations current issue of food and water insecurity and brainstorm solutions on how to create a more equitable and sustainable system to benefit all of us. We will consider politically systemic, environmental, and personal choices that impact the quality of life now and in the future.
Bleu is a serial entrepreneur and co-founder of Black Sheep Café, Blue Poblano, Blackbird Brunch and House of Frybread. Bleu’s passion lies in economics, business infrastructure and strengthening her community through food. These passions come together in the form of Indigehub. Bleu created Indigehub to function as a space where food entrepreneurs are born through creative collaboration, business education and networking. Bleu’s mission is to educate communities on regenerative business practices and Indigenous philosophies and practices. She currently serves as a member of several boards and committees, including the James Beard Foundation Food Fund for Black and Indigenous Americans.
EXPLORE BEFORE WE MEET:
- Indigenous Food Sovereignty in the United States: Restoring Cultural Knowledge, Protecting Environments, and Regaining Health: Free PDF
- Amazon: Indigenous Food Sovereignty in the United States: Restoring Cultural Knowledge, Protecting Environments, and Regaining Health
- Watch Gather
- Watch Broken Rainbow on Youtube
From Jay after you’ve explored the above:
Since I was running this Zoom without my trusty companion Jana Spangler, I forgot to turn on the recording until partway through. Sorry Bleu! And sorry to each of you. I’ve included the Bleu Adams Food Sovereignty slide show that Bleu used throughout. Check it out first. Much of what she talked about on the front end is covered by the Broken Rainbow YouTube movie. She also highly encouraged watching the movie Gather. Both are noted with links under “Explore Before We Meet” above.
- Click on the Zoom link above.
- When you are connected you will either be waiting in a lobby and will let be in shortly or you will immediately be able to see other participants. Please make sure that you muted and that your video is on if you choose to have it on. (Love to see and hear you live, but we’ll take curious lurkers also.)
- If you can’t hear the host, me, or others, find your settings and make sure you have a working microphone and speaker selected. Also, make sure you have your volume up.
- Please mute your microphone before entering and when you are not speaking so noises are not heard by everyone else.
- Rather than have the whole group watch you try to get your camera or screen positioned, or play with funky green screen backgrounds, feel free to get that figured out prior to when we meet.
- Resist the urge to multitask—be with us fully if at all possible. But we’ll be grateful for whatever presence you are able to offer. Just knowing you are there is nice.
- If you are going to multitask, or wander around a lot, please turn off your video and make sure you are muted. No one wants to be distracted by you eating or using the loo.
- If you are having difficulty with the technology, don’t hold up the meeting by distracting other participants for solutions. Try Googling your problem. I do that with most of life’s problems.
- Speaking of distractions—just as when we used to meet in person in the good old days, let’s be cautious about using the chat for side conversations that may distract others. You can always ask for people’s contact info and continue your conversation—I’d love that to happen. Or, let me know, and I’ll do my darndest to give you a chance to share to the group.
- Please share air time and follow the guidelines under “Intentions” on this website.